Friday, February 7, 2014

young, wild, and free (runs)


I’ve never been very athletic. Actually, that’s a complete understatement. Not once did I get the “important” Presidential Fitness award; I always managed to get the “you-participated-here’s-an-award!” award.  I generally found myself tripping over my feet and chosen last for most athletic expeditions in my elementary and middle school days.

Fast forward a few years and here I am, walking four miles a day and generally following a pretty healthy lifestyle. My younger self probably would have just scoffed at the idea of me doing exercise, but when you have so many fun colors to choose in athletic shoes, the concept of exercise quickly gets a lot more interesting. Hey, if the shoe fits, right?

First off, the shoe of choice: the Nike Free Run 5.0+ in Volt. I’ve seen plenty of people rave about these babies and I can certainly see why. Completely and utterly obnoxious (but super adorable) in color? Check. Comfier than walking on a pillow? Double check. I had previously only worn the Free Advantage trainers and a few random pairs of Adidas runners in the past, but these new Nike babies are my absolute favorites to wear. They certainly put a happy smile on my face as soon as I look down at my feet, but then again, they glow so much that I don’t even have to look.

A few other necessities for me include Nike hair ties--they don't kink--in hot pink and bright blue, the MapMyWalk app that calculates time, mileage, and pace for all of your walking endeavors, and my favorite of the bunch, KT Tape a.k.a. "savior of all aches and woes". My favorite applications include those for runner's knee and peroneal tendonitis, but the possibilities are endless. With strategic placement and stretching of the cotton tape, muscles are raised under the skin and provided with immediate relief. Always nice when one has bad joints from long years of dancing... Needless to say, I've come to rely on my Kinesio taping quite a bit.

If that's not enough incentive for getting outside and exercising (and looking cute, cough cough), I don't know what is. Besides, you never know... Being outside in your cute kicks and sassy hair ties might even get the attention of that cute neighborhood boy. Ah, the joys of exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment